1. TITLE: The name of the Society shall be the Todmorden Choral Society hereinafter referred to as the Society.
2. OBJECTS: The objects of the Society shall be to educate the public in the arts and sciences, and in particular the art and science of music, in the promotion and presentation of concerts and other charitable activities.
3. MEMBERSHIP: The members of the Society shall be those persons who pay the subscription at the appropriate rate or rates as shall be determined by the Committee, the subscription being payable in advance, and (in the case of performing members) who shall provide such evidence of musical ability as the Committee may require.
4. OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE: The management of the Society shall be in the hands of a Committee consisting of a President, a Chairman, an Honorary Secretary, an Honorary Treasurer, Librarian, and one representative from each section of the Choir. The Officers and other Committee members shall be elected by and out of the Society’s members at the Annual General Meeting; they shall hold office for one year and be eligible for re-election.
5. MANAGEMENT: All the arrangements for the concerts and other events and the control of finance shall be in the hands of the Committee.
a. The Financial year shall end on March 31st.
b. A banking account shall be opened in the name of the Society and any two officers of the Society shall sign cheques.
c. The Society may receive donations, grants in aid and financial guarantees, and tickets for any or all of its concerts and other events may be offered for sale to the public.
d. The income and property of the Society whencesoever derived shall be applied solely towards promoting the objects of the Society as set forth above and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred either directly or indirectly to any member or members of the Society except in payment of legitimate expenses incurred on behalf of the Society.
e. In the event of the winding-up or dissolution of the Society any remaining assets after all liabilities have been discharged shall not be paid or transferred to any member or members of the Society but shall be transferred to a charitable organisation whose objects are similar to those of the Society and whose rules preclude the distribution of income and assets among its members.
7. GENERAL MEETINGS: Within three months of the end of each financial year the members shall be summoned to an Annual General Meeting of which at least fourteen days notice in writing shall have been given. An Extraordinary General Meeting of which fourteen days’ notice in writing must be given to members may be called for by the Committee or upon written request to the Secretary signed by at least eight members of the Society.
8. AUDITED ACCOUNTS: The financial accounts shall be audited or examined by a person independent of the Committee to the extent required by legislation and submitted to the members at an Annual General Meeting.